Heart Surgery
Video of Operation
The following link gives you an idea of generally what is done. Though this is a valve sparing operation - mine required new valves to be stitched into the heart as well. I think the jazz-funk soundtrack during the operation is an optional extra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSraYGcHBk
Pre-Op
In the 18 hours before the operation, I saw my surgeon, Mr M who introduced his senior registrar, both would be operating. They went over the details and options again - if it was not possible to re-used my own aortic valves ( a valve-sparing procedure) then the next option would be to use donor valves from a cow. I think the term "donor" is a little misplaced as I am not sure how much say the cow had in the whole process.
If this was not possible then metal valves would be used, which would mean I would have to be on Warfarin (a blood thinner) for life after the operation. We were all hoping for option 1 or 2 to work out.
I met the anaesthetics team also - fairly standard checks to make sure I had no other conditions which would cause problems while being put to sleep.
The nursing staff were all friendly and I chatted with them also.
For 24 hours before the operation I had to shower with a chlorhexadine wash - a highly effective anti-bacterial soap, and use mouthwash and nasal cream. All this was to ensure I was as free of possible bacteria as could be beforehand, and hopefully reduce the chance of post-operative infection.
I stripped and put on the hospital gown, then waited on the bed. Someone came to give me an injection shortly afterwards, and then I went to sleep...
Post-Op - Waking Up
Apparently I woke up in CCU (Cardiac Critical Care Unit) at some point in the evening. My Dad and stepmum were there, but I don't remember. My first memory of waking up was about 3am, the operation had started around 1200 and lasted about 6 hours.
Waking up in this situation is wierd. The anaesthetic after-effects mean you are not altogether lucid, and definitely not 100% of what was going on, though I was fully aware I had the operation and was in hospital.
The nurse by my bedside was incredible - I woke several times in the night and she comforted me every time, reassuring me where I was, who she was and what was going on. By the third time, I vaguely remembered that I had spoken to her before, but she was understanding and patient throughout.
I felt more comfortable lying on my side. Lying on my back, my breathing felt restricted as I had lots of swelling and fluid in my chest. I was absolutely weak, and generally felt like I had been hit by a bus.
A morning ward round arrived. Lots of Doctors and staff at the end of the bed. I was half awake, and was aware of them talking about me. There seemed some uncertainty about what medication I should be on, and various folk started to put forward ideas.
"Don't talk over me, talk to me!" I blurted out, startling the consultant and his team. "I can tell you what meds I am on..."
This was true. What I did not process was that they may well have changed some of the meds after the op. But then I was not entirely with it.
The consultant explained his need to get the information to the staff team, but assured me he would chat to me later. I was already falling asleep again I think.
I would go from being totally fine to a babbling mess within a few minutes. The nurses were completely used to this and remained patient and understanding, though I imagine they must have been rolling their eyes after a while!
Dr J and Dr A, my Rheumatologist and Cardiologist consultants popped by to see how I was doing. I became very emotional when Dr J arrived and was clearly losing the plot as he had to help me make my lunch menu decision.
Mr M the surgeon came by, and explained that we had ended up using a biological donor valve, but that the surgery went extremely well. This was good news as it meant I would not need to be on Warfarin.
Fluids - In and Out
I had 3 chest drains in place - 2 large and 1small diameter tube. The 2 large ones were removed once I was awake in CCU, as was the catheter in my bladder. The smaller chest drain stayed in for a further week.
I started sipping squash and water, drinking too much would cause me to vomit, so I was given anti-emetics (anti-vomiting drugs.)
I was not super hungry to start with, but was able to get most of a meal down at mealtimes.
Pain
My pain levels were low. I was definitely uncomfortable and my chest felt restricted. I did not like moving much lying down as the chest felt unstable. This is probably psychological as much as anything as it was well wired and stitched together. I was encouraged to cough and breath deeply regularly to keep my lungs clear. One of the nurses was an absolute legend and put together a "cough pillow" - a towel wrapped in a bandage, which I could hold against my chest when coughing and sneezing, to prevent my chest moving too much and causing a lot of pain.
Sneezing hurt and felt horrible.
Activity
I felt great initially - still full of opiate painkillers, I thought I was doing really well, but in reality all I did on day 1 was get into a chair and spend some time sitting in it. That was tiring enough. My first day of "exercise rehab" was proving I could stand up unsupported, walk on the spot and turn around.
My Dad and stepmum came back to visit as did my Mother in law - it was good to see some familiar faces.
Leaving CCU
I spent another night on CCU and was moved to CTW the next morning
The following link gives you an idea of generally what is done. Though this is a valve sparing operation - mine required new valves to be stitched into the heart as well. I think the jazz-funk soundtrack during the operation is an optional extra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSraYGcHBk
Pre-Op
In the 18 hours before the operation, I saw my surgeon, Mr M who introduced his senior registrar, both would be operating. They went over the details and options again - if it was not possible to re-used my own aortic valves ( a valve-sparing procedure) then the next option would be to use donor valves from a cow. I think the term "donor" is a little misplaced as I am not sure how much say the cow had in the whole process.
If this was not possible then metal valves would be used, which would mean I would have to be on Warfarin (a blood thinner) for life after the operation. We were all hoping for option 1 or 2 to work out.
I met the anaesthetics team also - fairly standard checks to make sure I had no other conditions which would cause problems while being put to sleep.
The nursing staff were all friendly and I chatted with them also.
For 24 hours before the operation I had to shower with a chlorhexadine wash - a highly effective anti-bacterial soap, and use mouthwash and nasal cream. All this was to ensure I was as free of possible bacteria as could be beforehand, and hopefully reduce the chance of post-operative infection.
I stripped and put on the hospital gown, then waited on the bed. Someone came to give me an injection shortly afterwards, and then I went to sleep...
Post-Op - Waking Up
Apparently I woke up in CCU (Cardiac Critical Care Unit) at some point in the evening. My Dad and stepmum were there, but I don't remember. My first memory of waking up was about 3am, the operation had started around 1200 and lasted about 6 hours.
Waking up in this situation is wierd. The anaesthetic after-effects mean you are not altogether lucid, and definitely not 100% of what was going on, though I was fully aware I had the operation and was in hospital.
The nurse by my bedside was incredible - I woke several times in the night and she comforted me every time, reassuring me where I was, who she was and what was going on. By the third time, I vaguely remembered that I had spoken to her before, but she was understanding and patient throughout.
I felt more comfortable lying on my side. Lying on my back, my breathing felt restricted as I had lots of swelling and fluid in my chest. I was absolutely weak, and generally felt like I had been hit by a bus.
A morning ward round arrived. Lots of Doctors and staff at the end of the bed. I was half awake, and was aware of them talking about me. There seemed some uncertainty about what medication I should be on, and various folk started to put forward ideas.
"Don't talk over me, talk to me!" I blurted out, startling the consultant and his team. "I can tell you what meds I am on..."
This was true. What I did not process was that they may well have changed some of the meds after the op. But then I was not entirely with it.
The consultant explained his need to get the information to the staff team, but assured me he would chat to me later. I was already falling asleep again I think.
I would go from being totally fine to a babbling mess within a few minutes. The nurses were completely used to this and remained patient and understanding, though I imagine they must have been rolling their eyes after a while!
Dr J and Dr A, my Rheumatologist and Cardiologist consultants popped by to see how I was doing. I became very emotional when Dr J arrived and was clearly losing the plot as he had to help me make my lunch menu decision.
Mr M the surgeon came by, and explained that we had ended up using a biological donor valve, but that the surgery went extremely well. This was good news as it meant I would not need to be on Warfarin.
Fluids - In and Out
I had 3 chest drains in place - 2 large and 1small diameter tube. The 2 large ones were removed once I was awake in CCU, as was the catheter in my bladder. The smaller chest drain stayed in for a further week.
I started sipping squash and water, drinking too much would cause me to vomit, so I was given anti-emetics (anti-vomiting drugs.)
I was not super hungry to start with, but was able to get most of a meal down at mealtimes.
Pain
My pain levels were low. I was definitely uncomfortable and my chest felt restricted. I did not like moving much lying down as the chest felt unstable. This is probably psychological as much as anything as it was well wired and stitched together. I was encouraged to cough and breath deeply regularly to keep my lungs clear. One of the nurses was an absolute legend and put together a "cough pillow" - a towel wrapped in a bandage, which I could hold against my chest when coughing and sneezing, to prevent my chest moving too much and causing a lot of pain.
Sneezing hurt and felt horrible.
Activity
I felt great initially - still full of opiate painkillers, I thought I was doing really well, but in reality all I did on day 1 was get into a chair and spend some time sitting in it. That was tiring enough. My first day of "exercise rehab" was proving I could stand up unsupported, walk on the spot and turn around.
My Dad and stepmum came back to visit as did my Mother in law - it was good to see some familiar faces.
Leaving CCU
I spent another night on CCU and was moved to CTW the next morning
Oh my goodness where have I been?!?! Can't believe I'm only just reading these! Might try to sleep now, tho...
ReplyDelete