Introduction

In 1997 I was diagnosed with Takayasu's Arteritis, a rare inflammation of the large arteries in the body: for me the aorta and carotid arteries.
The result was that over time I developed aortic regurgitation (a heart murmur)  and carotid stenosis (narrowing of my carotid arteries leading to the brain).
Despite this I have been able to pursue a career as a mountaineering instructor and outdoor educator for the past 14 years, and pursue my own mountaineering, climbing and kayaking adventures.
I recently underwent open heart surgery, replacing my aortic root and valve.
I have not been able to find much information on heart defects and their impact on activities for young, fit people such as myself, nor have I found a recovery regime for open heart surgery for young fit people.
This blog is intended to provide information on my experiences of the disease, treatment and surgery, and how I am recovering.
I hope this is of use to others who are or may be in a similar situation in the future.

Another guy who has a very good forum for info on heart valve surgery specifically is Adam Pick http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/about-adam-pick-author-heart-valve.php

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety and Fractures

Arriving for surgery